Loading...

Monday, 14 January 2013

Cookalong: Indian Meat and Potatoes

RSVP for this event
Growing up I used to eat mince and potatoes. When I married my husband, his English mum gave me a book with a keema recipe in it.

In a multi-racial, multi-cultural family, it is easy to be creative because people keep introducing you to different things. I've made this dish my own by introducing new spices.

Keema is a staple in Pakistan; this dish is aromatic, made with oil, and minced beef.  Meat is prevalent in the cuisines of Northern India and Pakistan where many people follow Muslim halal traditions (pork is not allowed). Cooking local dishes on an international assignment is a great way to understand different cultures.

How Do I RSVP for the Cookalong?

You can see, hear and chat with me while we cook together using Liveplate Video Chat. To get access to the video chat you need to RSVP by creating a liveplate.com account (you can use your Facebook account) and clicking on the RSVP (this event) button. Once you have RSVP'd you will see a Join the Event icon. On the day, use the icon to join the Liveplate Video Chat.

Keema Recipe

I've added my favorite spices to the dish. They are influenced by traditional blends. I've added chat masala, but you can use other masalas or curry powder.

The dish also contains pomegranate seed, nodding to the Persian influence in the region. The pomegranate seeds are the key to this dish. The masala and the coriander seeds can be replaced by curry powder, but not the pomegranate!

The recipe and preparation is part of the video chat, but here is the recipe if you want to try it yourself.

Ingredients Preparation
1 tablespoon of ghee or olive oil 1. Cut the potatoes in to small pieces and pre-cook in the microwave for 3 minutes (or until slightly cooked).
1teaspoon pomegranate seeds 2. Chop the onion.
1 teaspoon Chat Masala 3. Add the ghee (or olive oil) to the pan.
1 teaspoon of Tumeric 4. Add the garlic and ginger paste and then onions.
1 teaspoons coriander seeds 5. Add the meat, brown, and then add the spices and stir well.
1 teaspoon of garlic and ginger paste 6. Add the tomato puree.
1 pound of ground beef 7. Add the potatoes and peas.
1 medium onion (finely chopped) 8. Serve in a bowl with bread and yogurt.
1 cup of peas
Family, places and...
By Sharon Lorimer
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
2 large potatoes (chopped)
Plain yogurt and naan bread

Check out the recipes by clicking on the book link above or visit the liveplate site.

Related Blogs

7 comments:

  1. I love keema! Asian food really is the most flavoursome! Who would have thought that aloo peas could taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish and easy to make! Can I use ground lamb instead of beef (we don't eat beef)? Are the pomegranate seeds fresh or dried?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Can't wait to join the cookalong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you can use lamb. Lamb and pomegranate are a great combination. The pomegranate seeds are dried and ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi 'doshebu'

    I am a Producer on the US travel show House Hunters International. I found your website when looking for expats who might be interested in being a part of the show, I hope you don't mind me contacting you?

    I thought I would reach out to see if you or anyone you know have recently moved abroad and might be interested in taking part in House Hunters International?! Ideally they should be outgoing and fun, aged under 45 and have bought a property within the last few years or are renting a property.

    House Hunters International is a half-hour TV show currently airing on the Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV) in America. The series is designed to de-mystify the international home-buying / renting process, by going behind the scenes of a house hunt where expats and their real estate agents tour 3 homes. At its core, House Hunters International is a travel show concentrating on the idiosyncrasies of the locales and what makes them special and different.

    Here are some examples of the show that you can watch on Youtube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYI3L3lC-c - Barcelona from LA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOiump3__Mo - Vienna from California
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tblIVLw0coE – Panama from Pennsylvania

    Please do get in touch if you or anyone you know may be interested in the show.

    Best wishes,

    Michelle

    Michelle James
    CASTING PRODUCER LEOPARD FILMS
    1-3 St Peter's Street, London N1 8JD - +44 20 7704 3300
    michelle.james@leopardfilms.com
    www.leopardfilms.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle,

    Thank you for contacting me. I know some people who are moving just now and I would be happy to introduce you to expats who could help you network.

    I enjoy the show. I often record it and just watched a couple last week.

    I have a FB group(https://www.facebook.com/groups/the.art.of.the.expat/) for creative expats. If you want I can post your details there. Let me know.

    Sharon
    slorimer@doshebu.tv

    ReplyDelete