Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Can You Use Storytelling?

Storytelling can be an outlet for you to describe your personal journey.

War-Torn Assignments
Egyptian Protests © Mosa'ab Elshamy

If you are assigned to parts of the world where there is conflict, how do you reconcile your home and host culture?

Jon Amiel, the movie director, recently talked about war and its representation in film at the Royal United Services Institute in London.

Sometimes war films are more light-hearted and sometimes they are more realistic. Amiel talked about how our emotional relationship to war changes over time and how movie executives and film makers reflect these changes in the movies they make. 

Storytelling in Business

Being able to tell a great story adds a dimension to your ability to communicate. Dramatisation of information can be more interesting and more memorable than written reports.

Fiction can also tell a story and reach a person when the real story doesn’t. If you need to create change in a global team, storytelling skills can cross cultural boundaries and help you create understanding.

Need Some Help?

There are lots of teach yourself books for writing. I read several before I wrote my first screenplay. I was influenced by the History channel and my travels, which I used to create the scenes in the screenplay.

If you need a coach to help you write about your stay in another culture, Jo Parfitt has a course that helps you write your life story. Send me a copy, I’d like to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment