Monday, 11 July 2011

Is There Really a Globalisation Penalty?

When I first moved abroad I was highly effective. I made three times the national average salary, I got a job without any problems, I managed my finances in two continents and I was optimistic about the future.

But it all stopped one day and I was left wondering what I did to stop the progress of my career (and then my global finances)! I moved aboard. I moved home.

I feel now that I have a better understanding of my life than I ever did when I was more successful.

How do you reach the next level, is it like the Black Swan - should I fake it? Or is being able to integrate before and after helping me to be boundaryless? Could I now reach something I didn't plan on in a way that transforms others too?

I just read an article in McKinsey talking about how global companies and leaders are less effective. What! They aren't. It's the way you measure it that's wrong...

Often the timescale are too short for people who move abroad to be effective. And, are the people you are measuring really global? I never met a global leader who wasn't spiritual; why is that?

Three Stages of Leadership Development for Global Leaders

There are three stages when a leader becomes global:

1. Effective - You arrive and your training and skills help you make things happen that everyone else wants. But also, if you are sent abroad by your company, no-one wants to undermine your power (or their career) by sending the multinational HQ champion back as an emotional wreck.

2. Outsider - Somehow you end up trying to understand who you are. Not a question to answer and nobody else understands. You're a stranger at home and a stranger in the country you chose to live in. This is a tough stage.

3. Leader - Underneath your consciousness is a route to synchronicity. I don't understand this stage, but I know it is there. This is the highest level of our interaction with the way we live.

Business understands clusters. We as a group, for some reason, are good at something in one place! This type of grouping of us creates effective statistics, but not real growth. We have to try to learn from the group, but not be the group.

Visit doshebu.tv for more articles about leadership, strategy, and globalisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment